Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sandwiches and Day of the Dead

So here I am back again with new cooking adventures!
The first thing I'd like to talk about is how wonderfully chaotic children can be. Because here I was one day, minding my own busness, hurting no one; when my chid came to me and said: "Guess what! Tomorrow we'll be having a halloween celebrationg at school and they were asking who could help bringing sandwiches, and I remembered how great your sandwiches are so I took up my hand and now you'll have to do 15 sandwiches for tomorrow! Ain't that AWESOME?? :D"
I was of course struggling internally between being praised by my child and realizing I had to rush to the grocery store at six o'clock evening and make 15 sandwiches for the next day. So I went out, got what I needed and started to work.

Mayo and mustard ready for the action.

I have to admit that these are by far the better sandwiches I've made in a large amount. Mostly due to the ingredients, I bouth a flaxseed bread and other tasty stuff. I covered one slice of bread with paté and put a slice of ham, manchego cheese, salami, pepperoni and ended it with another slice of bread covered with mayonnaise and mustard.

The whole lot, waiting for the final step... and two below already done ;P
I left a couple of bread slices to try making coffin shaped snacks but decided that it was too complicated. Maybe with some more planning next year.

On the whole they didn't look astonishingly yummy, but they did taste that way. Also, my child told me that her friends liked them a lot and all my sandwhiches were eaten so I'm satisfied with the outcome.

All sandwiches ready to go! I cut them by half so the kids could eat what they wanted. And also used the same bags of the bread so I didn't have to worry for the package later. A cool thing of this brand is that their bags are biodegradable so I don't feel so guilty towards mother nature.

The other topic of this is Day of the Dead, or how we call it here, Día de Muertos. I believe it's my favorite holiday from all and one of the big reasons for it is the absolutely delicious bread that is made during these days. My boyfriend loves it as well. X3
I would actually go into more details on this but I know myself and I don't know where to start and when I did it I would never end. So I'll better leave you with a nice and tasty look of my dessert for a whole week. hehehe

It is actually a very light orange tasted bread covered in sugar, the decorations on it are designed to resemble bones and thus the name of Pan de Muerto or Bread of the Dead. Most have also another bun on top at the center, that one should be the head. This one however didn't have it. I bought it at a very well known bakery in Mexico and trust me, there's a reason for them to be so famous. yum! ;P

No comments: